As our Residents live out their golden years at our Home and time goes by, they continue their life’s journey with us, sharing their love of life and preparing for a new life to come. This week we celebrated National Nursing Home Week with the theme “Celebrating the Journey.” Each day the activities and food service departments planned a different famous destination for our Residents to journey too here at the home. Even though our Residents may not physically be able to travel anymore, we did our best to bring the journey to them.
- On Monday the Residents journeyed to the Big Apple – New York City, and had a New York themed scavenger hunt with the staff. That day they enjoyed coney dogs, waldorf salad, clam chowder and buffalo wings.
- On Tuesday it was off for the Windy City – Chicago. The Residents enjoyed a World Fair theme and had pizza, Italian beef sandwiches, and carnival foods.
- On Wednesday, the Residents found themselves in the heart of Texas, where they enjoyed a Tex/Mex BBQ lunch served in our auditorium. That day the Residents and staff celebrated by wearing their Western attire complete with cowboy hats and jeans.
- Thursday found us on the Hawaiian islands with our Residents dressing up in their tropical attire and enjoying a luau, with Hawaiian chicken and rice, tropical cabbage salad and pineapple and banana cake for dessert.
- Wrapping up the week was the destination of Alaska for the “Winter Olympic” games. For lunch that day they enjoyed salmon steak, Alaskan tossed salad, and baked Alaska, along with a variety of interactive activities with an Olympic theme.
This year’s Nursing Home week was a journey filled with many fun activities that brought happiness to our Residents and showcased the culinary skills of our food services. As these photos from the week will attest, many smiles were brought about from the interaction with our staff and the wonderful fun supplied by the activities department.
Leave a Reply