As part of the Year of Faith celebration here at our Home, we have been making pilgrimages to some of the holy sites in our diocese and beyond. Recently our Residents, accompanied by nursing students from Lourdes University and our Sisters, made a special pilgrimage to Our Lady, Queen of the Most Holy Rosary cathedral here in Toledo, Ohio.
The Holy Rosary Cathedral, the mother church for the Diocese of Toledo, was built in the style of the great European cathedrals of the Middle Ages. It is a grand structure that is 285-feet in length and 215-feet wide, with 96-feet from floor to ceiling. It features a 28-feet high Rose window, as well as many beautiful stained glass windows and intricate mosaics in the walls and ceilings. Being able to seat 1,400, our cathedral also features a “Skinner Organ,” which is quite rare and has over 5,000 pipes. Construction was completed over a 14-year time span during the Great Depression, starting in 1926 and being dedicated in 1940. Our cathedral is a beautiful structure in the architectural style of Spanish Pateresque, reminiscent of our sister city Toledo, Spain.
Our Residents, Sisters, and the Lourdes nursing students had a wonderful tour of the cathedral and were very impressed by the beauty and the great sense of spirituality in being at this holy place.